EE 2254 LINEAR INTEGRATED CIRCUITS AND APPLICATIONS NOV/DEC 2010 ANNA UNIVERSITY PREVIOUS YEAR QUESTION PAPER, IMPORTANT QUESTIONS, 2 MARKS AND 16 MARKS QUESTIONS FOR EEE DEPARTMENT
ANNA UNIVERSITY PREVIOUS YEAR QUESTION PAPER EE2254 LINEAR INTEGRATED CIRCUITS AND APPLICATIONS NOV/DEC 2010 , IMPORTANT QUESTIONS, 2 MARKS AND 16 MARKS QUESTIONS FOR EEE DEPARTMENT
B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2010
Electrical and Electronics Engineering
EE 2254 — LINEAR INTEGRATED CIRCUITS AND APPLICATIONS
(Common to Instrumentation and Control Engineering and Electronics and
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 Marks
Answer ALL questions
PART A — (10 × 2 = 20 Marks)1. Give the difference between monolithic and hybrid ICs.
2. What is lithography?
3. Give the ideal characteristics of operational amplifier and give its equivalent
4. Draw the circuit diagram of an integrator and give its output equation.
5. Draw the circuit diagram of an op-amp based positive clipper.
6. Which is the fastest ADC and why?
7. List the applications of NE 565.
8. Draw the relation between the capture range and lock range relationship in a PLL.
9. How will you increase the output of a general purpose op-amp?
10. Using LM380 draw the circuit for audio power amplifier.
PART B — (5 × 16 = 80 Marks)11. (a) (i) Briefly explain the various types of IC packages. Mention the
criteria for selecting an IC package. (8)
(ii) Write short notes on classification of Integrated circuits. (8)
(b) With respect to the BJT based circuit given below, explain the various
steps to implement the circuit into a monolithic IC. (16)
12. (a) (i) With neat diagrams explain the types of feedback configurations
(ii) Briefly explain summing amplifier. Draw an adder circuit for the
given expression ) 5 1 . 0 ( 3 2 1
V V V V
o + + − = . (8)
(b) Briefly explain the frequency response of op-amp. Give the frequency
compensation techniques adopted in operational amplifiers. (16)
13. (a) (i) Explain the first order lowpass Butterworth filter with a neat
circuit diagram. Derive its frequency response and plot the same. (8)
(ii) Design a lowpass filter with a cutoff frequency of 1 kHz and with a
passband gain of 2. (8)
(b) What is an instrumentation amplifier? Give the important features of an
instrumentation amplifier. Explain the working of three op-amp
instrumentation amplifier. Give its application. (16)
14. (a) (i) Explain the Voltage Controlled Oscillator with a neat block
diagram. Give its typical connection diagram and its output
(ii) Derive the expression for capture range for PLL where a simple
RC network is used as a LPF. (8)
(b) Draw the functional diagram of IC 555 Timer. Explain with a circuit
diagram how it can be connected for monostable operation. (16)
15. (a) (i) Explain the working of series voltage regulator. (8)
(ii) Write a note on optocouplers. (8)
(b) What is a switching regulator? With a neat block diagram explain the
internals of A µ 7840. (16)