Communication Theory nov/dec 2010 ANNA UNIVERSITY PREVIOUS YEAR QUESTION PAPER, IMPORTANT QUESTIONS, 2 MARKS AND 16 MARKS QUESTIONS FOR ECE DEPARTMENT
ANNA UNIVERSITY PREVIOUS YEAR QUESTION PAPER EC2252 Communication Theory nov/dec 2010 , IMPORTANT QUESTIONS, 2 MARKS AND 16 MARKS QUESTIONS FOR ECE DEPARTMENT
B.E./B.Tech.Degree Examinations, November/December 2010
Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE)
EC2252 Communication Theory
( Common to PTEC 2252 Communication Theory for B.E.(Part -Time)
Third Semester ECE - Regulations 2009)
Time: Three Hours Maximum: 100 Marks
Answer ALL Questions
Part A - (10 x 2 = 20 Marks)1. How many AM broadcast stations can be accommodated in a 100 kHz bandwidth
if the highest frequency modulating a carrier i s 5 kHz?
2. State the applications of FDM.
3. Illustrate the relationship between FM and PM, with block diagrams.
4. Compare the transmission bandwidth required for Narrowband FM and Wide band
5. De¯ne a random variable. Specify the sample space and the random variable for a
coin tossing experiment.
6. What i s white noise? Give its characteristics.
7. De¯ne threshold e®ect in AM receiver.
8. De¯ne pre-emphasis and de-emphasis.
9. A source generates 3 messages with probability 0.5, 0.25, 0.25. Calculate source
10. De¯ne Rate Bandwidth and Bandwidth effciency.
Part B - (5 x 16 = 80 Marks)
11. (a) (i) With the help of a neat diagram, explain the generation of DSB-SC usingBalanced modulator. (8)
(ii) Write about the coherent detection method in detail for DSB-SC and SSB-
SC. What happens when there i s phase mismatch? (8)
11. (b) (i) Explain the concept of Frequency Translation. (4)
(ii) With aid of block diagram explain the principle of FDM. (8)
(iii) Illustrate the formation of Basic group and super group. (4)
12. (a) (i) De¯ne frequency modulation. Draw the FM waveform. Derive an expres-
sion for single tone frequency modulation.
(2 + 2 + 6)
(ii) Compare Narrowband and Wideband FM. (6)
12. (b) (i) A 20 MHz i s frequency modulated by a sinusoidal signal such that the max-
imum frequency deviation i s 100 kHz. Determine the modulation index
and approximate bandwidth of the FM signal for the following modulating
(1) 1 kHz (2) 100 kHz and (3) 500 kHz. (8)
(ii) Derive the time domain expressions of FM and PM signals.
13. (a) (i) List the di®erent types of random process and give the de¯nitions. (10)
(ii) Write short notes on shot noise. (6)
13. (b) (i) A mixer stage has a noise ¯gure of 20 dB and this i s preceded by an
ampli¯er that has a noise ¯gure of 9 dB and an available power gain of 15
dB. Calculate the overall noise ¯gure referred to the input. (8)
(ii) A receiver has a noise ¯gure of 12 dB and it is fed by a low noise ampli¯er
that has a gain of 50 dB and a noise temperature of 90 K. Calculate the
noise temperature of the receiver and the overall noise temperature of the
receiving system. Take room temperature as 290 K. (8)
14. (a) Derive the expression for ¯gure of merit of a AM receiver using envelope de-
tection. What do you infer from the expression? (16)
14. (b) De¯ne and explain FM Threshold e®ect. With suitable diagram, explain
threshold reduction by FMFB demodulator. (16)
15. (a) (i) An Analog signal i s band limited to `B' Hz and sampled at Nyquist rate.
The sampled signals are quantized into 4 levels. Each level represents
one message. The probability of occurrence of the four messages are
p1=p3=1/8; p2=p4=3/8. Find out information rate of the source. (6)
(ii) Five source messages are probable to appear as m1 = 0:4, m2 = 0:15,
m3 = 0:15, m4 = 0:15, m5 = 0:15. Find coding e±ciency for (1) Shanon-
Fano coding, (2) Hu®man coding.
15. (b) (i) Derive the channel capacity for Binary Symmetric channel.
(ii) Derive the channel capacity for band limited, power limited Gaussian